bookRoom is a research cluster based at the University for the Creative Arts in Farnham since 2004, one of the UK?s leading providers of specialist art and design education, offering strengths in art, design, architecture, media and communication. Since 2009 and under the leadership of Emmanuelle Waeckerlé the cluster acts as an umbrella for a number of interrelated activities; bookroom press, bookroom collection, conferences and exhibitions.
bookRoom focuses on critical and practice based research in digital analogue and hybrid formats. We support artists and researchers to engage with production, debate and dissemination of page and screen based works, embedded in an inclusive and innovative research culture and environment.
bookRoom occasionally act as a publisher of artist books and editions, works that operates across various time based media (photography, moving image, writing and performance). each work is the outcome of a close dialogue and collaboration with each artist who is involved in the whole process.
- To develop and promote new creative and interdisciplinary research at the interface of Photography, Design and Digital Media.
- To disseminate resultant knowledge through publication, conferences, exhibitions.
- To develop collaborations with other research or creative initiatives in academic and nonacademic contexts.
Current research interests
- Spectacular narrative in time based media that operate beyond the indexical dimension of the still or moving image.
- The interplay between electronic and print culture and how digital technologies are changing the way images are made, consumed and shared.
- The parallel histories and practices of the photo book and the artist book